Historic cemeteries provide rare opportunities to
study and honor our ancestors and our communities.
These memorials to past generations can tell us
about settlement patterns, family relationships,
religion, lifestyles and craftsmanship. Whether
your cemetery is well preserved or endangered, the
Alabama Historical Commission (AHC) helps preserve
these places for future generations.
list of cemeteries in the Historic Cemetery
Register is available alphabetically by county.
The Alabama Historical Commission's
cemetery program provides assistance in identifying,
documenting, registering, conserving, and protecting
Alabama's historic cemeteries. Through the cemetery
program, the Alabama Historical Commission:
- Informs the public about cemetery preservation guidelines
- Teaches individuals and groups how to document cemeteries
- Provides official historic designation for cemeteries through the Alabama Historic Cemetery Register
- Assists those interested in purchasing a historical marker or plaques for cemeteries
- Supplies free technical assistance on how to properly clean and repair cemeteries and grave markers
- Makes information on Alabamas cemeteries laws available
- Answers questions concerning the general history of Alabamas cemeteries.
For a list of Alabama Historical Commission cemetery historical markers & plaques in Alabama,
Please click on the following links for additional information, survey forms or applications.
Alabama Legislature amends Burial Law
Governor Bob Riley signed amendment into law on April 30,
Amended law provides equal protection under the law
for Native American burials.
text of bill
For more information, please contact
Lee Anne Wofford, Cemetery Program Coordinator, by
phone at (334)230-2659 or by email at